TWW News

All that's worthy (and I guess not worthy) to print regarding Team Wrong Way.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

2009 Turning Wheels for Kids - Team Wrong Way's 4th year!!!



Yes, we're still alive. Just having some motivation issues with keeping blogs current. Here is a report from Matt Leonard of our most recent effort.

Ten of us showed up bright and early Saturday morning* to build a couple of bikes for deserving kids. I think all of us remember our first bike and the smile it brought to our faces. I know I'll never forget my dad hiding a bike in my parents bedroom on christmas, and after moping around after watching my brother open all sorts of cool presents, my dad pointed out that he thought he saw something that Santa might have left in their room on accident. (That Santa is one sneaky guy.)

Not everyone is able to afford a bike for their child, and thats where Turning Wheels for Kids steps in. Through donations and generosity from local organizations, TWFK was able to acquire over 2000 bikes this year. Problem is, they all need to be assembled, which requires 100s if not 1000s of man ours. That's were Team Wrong Way and many other great groups step up and offer their time and experience to help assemble these bikes. After it was all said and done, approximately 700 volunteers assembled 2258 bikes that will be delivered to children across the bay area just in time for christmas.

I think most of us use this event as an excuse to get together and visit with friends, and we sort of forget how important it is. But I'd like to thank Sue and all of the people involved with TWFK for putting this event together every year. Team Wrong Way first participated in 2006 and we were a title sponsor, even made it on the t-shirts! If I remember correctly, we built about 1000 bikes that year. The event has grown significantly since then but it's still very well organized and it is something we all look forward to participating in each year.

I took a few pictures which didn't come out too well, so I'll just steal some from our buddy at Fox, Frank Walden:

Frankie's fotos

And here is a short clip from CBS 5 news I saw Saturday night:

CBS 5 video

Thanks to everyone who was able to come out and help this weekend!

Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home